What Is Andropause In Men?
Andropause refers to conditions associated with the decrease of the hormone testosterone in men. It is used as a term that corresponds with female menopause but is not the same since in men the decrease occurs gradually and does not involve the complete loss of reproductive function as it does in women. As men become older, their bodies produce less testosterone naturally and another hormone (sex hormone binding globulin) begins to draw usable testosterone from the blood.
Men experiencing lowered levels of testosterone can suffer from a range of symptoms (although they vary widely depending on the individual) and can include the following:
• Experiencing reduced sex drive or libido
• Difficulty getting or maintaining an erection
• Feeling a lack of energy
• Suffering from feelings of depression
• Experiencing irritability and mood swings
• Loss of muscle mass and strength
• Having hot flushes